• Engross Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To amass.
- (v. t.) To purchase either the whole or large quantities of, for the purpose of enhancing the price and making a profit; hence, to take or assume in undue quantity, proportion, or degree; as, to engross commodities in market; to engross power.
- (v. t.) To make gross, thick, or large; to thicken; to increase in bulk or quantity.
- (v. t.) To copy or write in a large hand (en gross, i. e., in large); to write a fair copy of in distinct and legible characters; as, to engross a deed or like instrument on parchment.
- (v. t.) To seize in the gross; to take the whole of; to occupy wholly; to absorb; as, the subject engrossed all his thoughts.
• Engrossed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Engross
• Engrosser Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who takes the whole; a person who purchases such quantities of articles in a market as to raise the price; a forestaller.
- (n.) One who copies a writing in large, fair characters.