• Enlarge Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To make larger; to increase in quantity or dimensions; to extend in limits; to magnify; as, the body is enlarged by nutrition; to enlarge ones house.
- (v. t.) To increase the capacity of; to expand; to give free scope or greater scope to; also, to dilate, as with joy, affection, and the like; as, knowledge enlarges the mind.
- (v. t.) To set at large or set free.
- (v. i.) To grow large or larger; to be further extended; to expand; as, a plant enlarges by growth; an estate enlarges by good management; a volume of air enlarges by rarefaction.
- (v. i.) To speak or write at length; to be diffuse in speaking or writing; to expatiate; to dilate.
- (v. i.) To get more astern or parallel with the vessels course; to draw aft; -- said of the wind.
• Enlargement Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Expansion or extension, as of the powers of the mind; ennoblement, as of the feelings and character; as, an enlargement of views, of knowledge, of affection.
- (n.) Diffusiveness of speech or writing; expatiation; a wide range of discourse or argument.
- (n.) The act of increasing in size or bulk, real or apparent; the state of being increased; augmentation; further extension; expansion.
- (n.) A setting at large, or being set at large; release from confinement, servitude, or distress; liberty.