• Essence Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To perfume; to scent.
- (n.) Perfume; odor; scent; or the volatile matter constituting perfume.
- (n.) The constituent elementary notions which constitute a complex notion, and must be enumerated to define it; sometimes called the nominal essence.
- (n.) The predominant qualities or virtues of a plant or drug, extracted and refined from grosser matter; or, more strictly, the solution in spirits of wine of a volatile or essential oil; as, the essence of mint, and the like.
- (n.) Constituent substance.
- (n.) The constituent quality or qualities which belong to any object, or class of objects, or on which they depend for being what they are (distinguished as real essence); the real being, divested of all logical accidents; that quality which constitutes or marks the true nature of anything; distinctive character; hence, virtue or quality of a thing, separated from its grosser parts.
- (n.) A being; esp., a purely spiritual being.
• Essenced Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Essence