• Express Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Directly and distinctly stated; declared in terms; not implied or left to inference; made unambiguous by intention and care; clear; not dubious; as, express consent; an express statement.
- (n.) A messenger sent on a special errand; a courier; hence, a regular and fast conveyance; commonly, a company or system for the prompt and safe transportation of merchandise or parcels; also, a railway train for transporting passengers or goods with speed and punctuality.
- (a.) To denote; to designate.
- (n.) That which is sent by an express messenger or message.
- (a.) To send by express messenger; to forward by special opportunity, or through the medium of an express; as, to express a package.
- (n.) An express office.
- (a.) Exactly representing; exact.
- (a.) Intended for a particular purpose; relating to an express; sent on a particular errand; dispatched with special speed; as, an express messenger or train. Also used adverbially.
- (n.) A clear image or representation; an expression; a plain declaration.
- (a.) To press or squeeze out; as, to express the juice of grapes, or of apples; hence, to extort; to elicit.
- (a.) To give a true impression of; to represent and make known; to manifest plainly; to show in general; to exhibit, as an opinion or feeling, by a look, gesture, and esp. by language; to declare; to utter; to tell.
- (a.) To make known the opinions or feelings of; to declare what is in the mind of; to show (ones self); to cause to appear; -- used reflexively.
- (a.) To make or offer a representation of; to show by a copy or likeness; to represent; to resemble.
• Expressible Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Capable of being expressed, squeezed out, shown, represented, or uttered.
• Expressly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In an express manner; in direct terms; with distinct purpose; particularly; as, a book written expressly for the young.
• Expressive Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Serving to express, utter, or represent; indicative; communicative; -- followed by of; as, words expressive of his gratitude.
- (a.) Full of expression; vividly representing the meaning or feeling meant to be conveyed; significant; emphatic; as, expressive looks or words.