• Facing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Face
- (n.) The finishing of any face of a wall with material different from that of which it is chiefly composed, or the coating or material so used.
- (n.) The collar and cuffs of a military coat; -- commonly of a color different from that of the coat.
- (n.) A powdered substance, as charcoal, bituminous coal, ect., applied to the face of a mold, or mixed with the sand that forms it, to give a fine smooth surface to the casting.
- (n.) A covering in front, for ornament or other purpose; an exterior covering or sheathing; as, the facing of an earthen slope, sea wall, etc. , to strengthen it or to protect or adorn the exposed surface.
- (n.) A lining placed near the edge of a garment for ornament or protection.
- (n.) The movement of soldiers by turning on their heels to the right, left, or about; -- chiefly in the pl.
• Fac Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A large ornamental letter used, esp. by the early printers, at the commencement of the chapters and other divisions of a book.
• Face Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Cast of features; expression of countenance; look; air; appearance.
- (v. t.) To line near the edge, esp. with a different material; as, to face the front of a coat, or the bottom of a dress.
- (v. t.) To cover with better, or better appearing, material than the mass consists of, for purpose of deception, as the surface of a box of tea, a barrel of sugar, etc.
- (v. i.) To present a face or front.
- (v. t.) To Confront impudently; to bully.
- (v. t.) To cover in front, for ornament, protection, etc.; to put a facing upon; as, a building faced with marble.
- (n.) Presence; sight; front; as in the phrases, before the face of, in the immediate presence of; in the face of, before, in, or against the front of; as, to fly in the face of danger; to the face of, directly to; from the face of, from the presence of.
- (n.) The exact amount expressed on a bill, note, bond, or other mercantile paper, without any addition for interest or reduction for discount.
- (n.) That part of the acting surface of a cog in a cog wheel, which projects beyond the pitch line.
- (v. t.) To make the surface of (anything) flat or smooth; to dress the face of (a stone, a casting, etc.); esp., in turning, to shape or smooth the flat surface of, as distinguished from the cylindrical surface.
- (n.) That part of the head, esp. of man, in which the eyes, cheeks, nose, and mouth are situated; visage; countenance.
- (n.) Ten degrees in extent of a sign of the zodiac.
- (n.) Mode of regard, whether favorable or unfavorable; favor or anger; mostly in Scriptural phrases.
- (v. t.) To stand opposite to; to stand with the face or front toward; to front upon; as, the apartments of the general faced the park.
- (n.) That part of a body, having several sides, which may be seen from one point, or which is presented toward a certain direction; one of the bounding planes of a solid; as, a cube has six faces.
- (v. t.) To cause to turn or present a face or front, as in a particular direction.
- (n.) The width of a pulley, or the length of a cog from end to end; as, a pulley or cog wheel of ten inches face.
- (n.) The principal dressed surface of a plate, disk, or pulley; the principal flat surface of a part or object.
- (n.) Outside appearance; surface show; look; external aspect, whether natural, assumed, or acquired.
- (n.) The exterior form or appearance of anything; that part which presents itself to the view; especially, the front or upper part or surface; that which particularly offers itself to the view of a spectator.
- (v. t.) To meet in front; to oppose with firmness; to resist, or to meet for the purpose of stopping or opposing; to confront; to encounter; as, to face an enemy in the field of battle.
- (v. i.) To carry a false appearance; to play the hypocrite.
- (n.) Maintenance of the countenance free from abashment or confusion; confidence; boldness; shamelessness; effrontery.
- (n.) The style or cut of a type or font of type.
- (n.) The upper surface, or the character upon the surface, of a type, plate, etc.
- (n.) The end or wall of the tunnel, drift, or excavation, at which work is progressing or was last done.
- (v. i.) To turn the face; as, to face to the right or left.
• Facingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a facing manner or position.