• Faint Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Performed, done, or acted, in a weak or feeble manner; not exhibiting vigor, strength, or energy; slight; as, faint efforts; faint resistance.
- (superl.) Lacking distinctness; hardly perceptible; striking the senses feebly; not bright, or loud, or sharp, or forcible; weak; as, a faint color, or sound.
- (n.) To sink into dejection; to lose courage or spirit; to become depressed or despondent.
- (n.) The act of fainting, or the state of one who has fainted; a swoon. [R.] See Fainting, n.
- (superl.) Lacking strength; weak; languid; inclined to swoon; as, faint with fatigue, hunger, or thirst.
- (superl.) Wanting in courage, spirit, or energy; timorous; cowardly; dejected; depressed; as, "Faint heart neer won fair lady."
- (n.) To decay; to disappear; to vanish.
- (v. i.) To become weak or wanting in vigor; to grow feeble; to lose strength and color, and the control of the bodily or mental functions; to swoon; -- sometimes with away. See Fainting, n.
- (v. t.) To cause to faint or become dispirited; to depress; to weaken.
• Fainthearted Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Wanting in courage; depressed by fear; easily discouraged or frightened; cowardly; timorous; dejected.