• Fast Definition & Synonyms
- (v.) Tenacious; retentive.
- (a.) In a fast or rapid manner; quickly; swiftly; extravagantly; wildly; as, to run fast; to live fast.
- (v.) Not easily disturbed or broken; deep; sound.
- (v.) Firm against attack; fortified by nature or art; impregnable; strong.
- (a.) In a fast, fixed, or firmly established manner; fixedly; firmly; immovably.
- (v.) Firmly fixed; closely adhering; made firm; not loose, unstable, or easily moved; immovable; as, to make fast the door.
- (v. i.) Voluntary abstinence from food, for a space of time, as a spiritual discipline, or as a token of religious humiliation.
- (v. i.) To practice abstinence as a religious exercise or duty; to abstain from food voluntarily for a time, for the mortification of the body or appetites, or as a token of grief, or humiliation and penitence.
- (v.) Moving rapidly; quick in mition; rapid; swift; as, a fast horse.
- (n.) That which fastens or holds; especially, (Naut.) a mooring rope, hawser, or chain; -- called, according to its position, a bow, head, quarter, breast, or stern fast; also, a post on a pier around which hawsers are passed in mooring.
- (v. i.) A time of fasting, whether a day, week, or longer time; a period of abstinence from food or certain kinds of food; as, an annual fast.
- (v.) Permanent; not liable to fade by exposure to air or by washing; durable; lasting; as, fast colors.
- (v. i.) Abstinence from food; omission to take nourishment.
- (v.) Firm in adherence; steadfast; not easily separated or alienated; faithful; as, a fast friend.
- (v. i.) To abstain from food; to omit to take nourishment in whole or in part; to go hungry.
- (v.) Given to pleasure seeking; disregardful of restraint; reckless; wild; dissipated; dissolute; as, a fast man; a fast liver.
- (n.) The shaft of a column, or trunk of pilaster.
- (a.) In such a condition, as to resilience, etc., as to make possible unusual rapidity of play or action; as, a fast racket, or tennis court; a fast track; a fast billiard table, etc.
• Fasted Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Fast
• Fasti Definition & Synonyms
- (n.pl.) Records or registers of important events.
- (n.pl.) The Roman calendar, which gave the days for festivals, courts, etc., corresponding to a modern almanac.