• Federal Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Consisting or pertaining to such a government; as, the Federal Constitution; a Federal officer.
- (a.) Pertaining to a league or treaty; derived from an agreement or covenant between parties, especially between nations; constituted by a compact between parties, usually governments or their representatives.
- (n.) See Federalist.
- (a.) Composed of states or districts which retain only a subordinate and limited sovereignty, as the Union of the United States, or the Sonderbund of Switzerland.
- (a.) Friendly or devoted to such a government; as, the Federal party. see Federalist.
• Federalism Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) the principles of Federalists or of federal union.