• Feeding Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That which is eaten; food.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Feed
- (n.) the act of eating, or of supplying with food; the process of fattening.
- (n.) That which furnishes or affords food, especially for animals; pasture land.
• Feed Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The supply of material to a machine, as water to a steam boiler, coal to a furnace, or grain to a run of stones.
- (v. t.) To nourish, in a general sense; to foster, strengthen, develop, and guard.
- (n.) A grazing or pasture ground.
- (n.) The mechanism by which the action of feeding is produced; a feed motion.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Fee
- (v. t.) To satisfy; grafity or minister to, as any sense, talent, taste, or desire.
- (v. t.) To graze; to cause to be cropped by feeding, as herbage by cattle; as, if grain is too forward in autumn, feed it with sheep.
- (v. i.) To take food; to eat.
- (v. t.) To fill the wants of; to supply with that which is used or wasted; as, springs feed ponds; the hopper feeds the mill; to feed a furnace with coal.
- (v. t.) To produce progressive operation upon or with (as in wood and metal working machines, so that the work moves to the cutting tool, or the tool to the work).
- (n.) That which is eaten; esp., food for beasts; fodder; pasture; hay; grain, ground or whole; as, the best feed for sheep.
- (n.) The motion, or act, of carrying forward the stuff to be operated upon, as cloth to the needle in a sewing machine; or of producing progressive operation upon any material or object in a machine, as, in a turning lathe, by moving the cutting tool along or in the work.
- (n.) An allowance of provender given to a horse, cow, etc.; a meal; as, a feed of corn or oats.
- (v. t.) To give food to; to supply with nourishment; to satisfy the physical huger of.
- (n.) The water supplied to steam boilers.
- (v. t.) To supply (the material to be operated upon) to a machine; as, to feed paper to a printing press.
- (v. i.) To be nourished, strengthened, or satisfied, as if by food.
- (v. t.) To give for food, especially to animals; to furnish for consumption; as, to feed out turnips to the cows; to feed water to a steam boiler.
- (n.) A meal, or the act of eating.
- (v. i.) To subject by eating; to satisfy the appetite; to feed ones self (upon something); to prey; -- with on or upon.
- (v. i.) To place cattle to feed; to pasture; to graze.