• Fend Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To act on the defensive, or in opposition; to resist; to parry; to shift off.
- (v. t.) To keep off; to prevent from entering or hitting; to ward off; to shut out; -- often with off; as, to fend off blows.
- (n.) A fiend.
• Fen Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Low land overflowed, or covered wholly or partially with water, but producing sedge, coarse grasses, or other aquatic plants; boggy land; moor; marsh.
• Fender Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t. & i.) Anything serving as a cushion to lessen the shock when a vessel comes in contact with another vessel or a wharf.
- (v. t. & i.) One who or that which defends or protects by warding off harm
- (v. t. & i.) A screen to protect a carriage from mud thrown off the wheels: also, a splashboard.
- (v. t. & i.) Anything set up to protect an exposed angle, as of a house, from damage by carriage wheels.
- (v. t. & i.) A screen to prevent coals or sparks of an open fire from escaping to the floor.