• Field Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To stand out in the field, ready to catch, stop, or throw the ball.
- (n.) Cleared land; land suitable for tillage or pasture; cultivated ground; the open country.
- (n.) The space covered by an optical instrument at one view.
- (n.) A place where a battle is fought; also, the battle itself.
- (n.) Any blank space or ground on which figures are drawn or projected.
- (v. t.) To catch, stop, throw, etc. (the ball), as a fielder.
- (n.) A piece of land of considerable size; esp., a piece inclosed for tillage or pasture.
- (n.) That part of the grounds reserved for the players which is outside of the diamond; -- called also outfield.
- (n.) The whole surface of an escutcheon; also, so much of it is shown unconcealed by the different bearings upon it. See Illust. of Fess, where the field is represented as gules (red), while the fess is argent (silver).
- (n.) An unresticted or favorable opportunity for action, operation, or achievement; province; room.
- (n.) A collective term for all the competitors in any outdoor contest or trial, or for all except the favorites in the betting.
- (n.) An open space; an extent; an expanse.
- (v. i.) To take the field.
• Fieldfare Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) a small thrush (Turdus pilaris) which breeds in northern Europe and winters in Great Britain. The head, nape, and lower part of the back are ash-colored; the upper part of the back and wing coverts, chestnut; -- called also fellfare.
• Fielden Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Consisting of fields.