• Fighting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Fight
- (a.) Qualified for war; fit for battle.
- (a.) Occupied in war; being the scene of a battle; as, a fighting field.
• Fight Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) A battle; an engagement; a contest in arms; a combat; a violent conflict or struggle for victory, between individuals or between armies, ships, or navies, etc.
- (v. t.) To cause to fight; to manage or maneuver in a fight; as, to fight cocks; to fight ones ship.
- (v. t.) To carry on, or wage, as a conflict, or battle; to win or gain by struggle, as ones way; to sustain by fighting, as a cause.
- (v. i.) To act in opposition to anything; to struggle against; to contend; to strive; to make resistance.
- (v. i.) To strive or contend for victory, with armies or in single combat; to attempt to defeat, subdue, or destroy an enemy, either by blows or weapons; to contend in arms; -- followed by with or against.
- (v. t.) To contend with in battle; to war against; as, they fought the enemy in two pitched battles; the sloop fought the frigate for three hours.
- (v. i.) A struggle or contest of any kind.
- (v. i.) Strength or disposition for fighting; pugnacity; as, he has a great deal of fight in him.
- (v. i.) A screen for the combatants in ships.
• Fightingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) Pugnaciously.