• Finding Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That which is found, come upon, or provided; esp. (pl.), that which a journeyman artisan finds or provides for himself; as tools, trimmings, etc.
- (n.) The result of a judicial examination or inquiry, especially into some matter of fact; a verdict; as, the finding of a jury.
- (n.) Support; maintenance; that which is provided for one; expence; provision.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Find
• Find Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To discover by sounding; as, to find bottom.
- (v. t.) To provide for; to supply; to furnish; as, to find food for workemen; he finds his nephew in money.
- (v. t.) To learn by experience or trial; to perceive; to experience; to discover by the intellect or the feelings; to detect; to feel.
- (v. t.) To attain to; to arrive at; to acquire.
- (v. t.) To meet with, or light upon, accidentally; to gain the first sight or knowledge of, as of something new, or unknown; hence, to fall in with, as a person.
- (v. t.) To discover by study or experiment direct to an object or end; as, water is found to be a compound substance.
- (v. t.) To come upon by seeking; as, to find something lost.
- (v. i.) To determine an issue of fact, and to declare such a determination to a court; as, the jury find for the plaintiff.
- (v. t.) To arrive at, as a conclusion; to determine as true; to establish; as, to find a verdict; to find a true bill (of indictment) against an accused person.
- (n.) Anything found; a discovery of anything valuable; especially, a deposit, discovered by archaeologists, of objects of prehistoric or unknown origin.
- (v. t.) To gain, as the object of desire or effort; as, to find leisure; to find means.