• Finger Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One of the five terminating members of the hand; a digit; esp., one of the four extermities of the hand, other than the thumb.
- (v. i.) To use the fingers in playing on an instrument.
- (v. t.) To mark the notes of (a piece of music) so as to guide the fingers in playing.
- (n.) Skill in the use of the fingers, as in playing upon a musical instrument.
- (v. t.) To perform on an instrument of music.
- (v. t.) To execute, as any delicate work.
- (n.) The breadth of a finger, or the fourth part of the hand; a measure of nearly an inch; also, the length of finger, a measure in domestic use in the United States, of about four and a half inches or one eighth of a yard.
- (v. t.) To take thievishly; to pilfer; to purloin.
- (v. t.) To touch with the fingers; to handle; to meddle with.
- (n.) Anything that does work of a finger; as, the pointer of a clock, watch, or other registering machine; especially (Mech.) a small projecting rod, wire, or piece, which is brought into contact with an object to effect, direct, or restrain a motion.
- (v. t.) To touch lightly; to toy with.
• Fingered Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Marked with figures designating which finger should be used for each note.
- (a.) Having fingers.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Finger
- (a.) Having leaflets like fingers; digitate.