• Fishing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act, practice, or art of one who fishes.
- (n.) Pertaining to fishing; used in fishery; engaged in fishing; as, fishing boat; fishing tackle; fishing village.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Fish
- (n.) A fishery.
• Fish Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To seek to obtain by artifice, or indirectly to seek to draw forth; as, to fish for compliments.
- (n.) The twelfth sign of the zodiac; Pisces.
- (v. t.) To catch; to draw out or up; as, to fish up an anchor.
- (n.) A piece of timber, somewhat in the form of a fish, used to strengthen a mast or yard.
- (n.) An oviparous, vertebrate animal usually having fins and a covering scales or plates. It breathes by means of gills, and lives almost entirely in the water. See Pisces.
- (n.) A name loosely applied in popular usage to many animals of diverse characteristics, living in the water.
- (v. t.) To try with a fishing rod; to catch fish in; as, to fish a stream.
- (pl. ) of Fish
- (n.) A purchase used to fish the anchor.
- (v. t.) To search by raking or sweeping.
- (n.) The flesh of fish, used as food.
- (v. i.) To attempt to catch fish; to be employed in taking fish, by any means, as by angling or drawing a net.
- (v. t.) To strengthen (a beam, mast, etc.), or unite end to end (two timbers, railroad rails, etc.) by bolting a plank, timber, or plate to the beam, mast, or timbers, lengthwise on one or both sides. See Fish joint, under Fish, n.
- (n.) A counter, used in various games.