• Flank Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To stand at the flank or side of; to border upon.
- (n.) That part of a bastion which reaches from the curtain to the face, and defends the curtain, the flank and face of the opposite bastion; any part of a work defending another by a fire along the outside of its parapet.
- (n.) The side of any building.
- (v. t.) To overlook or command the flank of; to secure or guard the flank of; to pass around or turn the flank of; to attack, or threaten to attack; the flank of.
- (n.) That part of the acting surface of a gear wheel tooth that lies within the pitch line.
- (n.) The fleshy or muscular part of the side of an animal, between the ribs and the hip. See Illust. of Beef.
- (v. i.) To border; to touch.
- (v. i.) To be posted on the side.
- (n.) The side of an army, or of any division of an army, as of a brigade, regiment, or battalion; the extreme right or left; as, to attack an enemy in flank is to attack him on the side.
• Flanked Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Flank