• Flood Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) A great flow or stream of any fluid substance; as, a flood of light; a flood of lava; hence, a great quantity widely diffused; an overflowing; a superabundance; as, a flood of bank notes; a flood of paper currency.
- (v. t.) To overflow; to inundate; to deluge; as, the swollen river flooded the valley.
- (v. i.) A great flow of water; a body of moving water; the flowing stream, as of a river; especially, a body of water, rising, swelling, and overflowing land not usually thus covered; a deluge; a freshet; an inundation.
- (v. i.) Menstrual disharge; menses.
- (v. i.) The flowing in of the tide; the semidiurnal swell or rise of water in the ocean; -- opposed to ebb; as, young flood; high flood.
- (v. t.) To cause or permit to be inundated; to fill or cover with water or other fluid; as, to flood arable land for irrigation; to fill to excess or to its full capacity; as, to flood a country with a depreciated currency.
• Flooded Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Flood
• Flooder Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who floods anything.