• Follow Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To result from, as an effect from a cause, or an inference from a premise.
- (v. t.) To endeavor to overtake; to go in pursuit of; to chase; to pursue; to prosecute.
- (v. t.) To watch, as a receding object; to keep the eyes fixed upon while in motion; to keep the mind upon while in progress, as a speech, musical performance, etc.; also, to keep up with; to understand the meaning, connection, or force of, as of a course of thought or argument.
- (v. i.) To go or come after; -- used in the various senses of the transitive verb: To pursue; to attend; to accompany; to be a result; to imitate.
- (v. t.) To walk in, as a road or course; to attend upon closely, as a profession or calling.
- (v. t.) To go or come after; to move behind in the same path or direction; hence, to go with (a leader, guide, etc.); to accompany; to attend.
- (v. t.) To succeed in order of time, rank, or office.
- (v. t.) To accept as authority; to adopt the opinions of; to obey; to yield to; to take as a rule of action; as, to follow good advice.
- (v. t.) To copy after; to take as an example.
- (n.) The art or process of following; specif., in some games, as billiards, a stroke causing a ball to follow another ball after hitting it. Also used adjectively; as, follow shot.
• Follower Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A sweetheart; a beau.
- (n.) A gland. See Illust. of Stuffing box.
- (n.) Among law stationers, a sheet of parchment or paper which is added to the first sheet of an indenture or other deed.
- (n.) One who follows; a pursuer; an attendant; a disciple; a dependent associate; a retainer.
- (n.) The removable flange, or cover, of a piston. See Illust. of Piston.
- (n.) The part of a machine that receives motion from another part. See Driver.
• Following edge Definition & Synonyms
- () See Advancing-edge, above.