• Forbid Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To accurse; to blast.
- () of Forbid
- (v. t.) To deny, exclude from, or warn off, by express command; to command not to enter.
- (v. t.) To defy; to challenge.
- (v. t.) To oppose, hinder, or prevent, as if by an effectual command; as, an impassable river forbids the approach of the army.
- (v. t.) To command against, or contrary to; to prohibit; to interdict.
- (v. i.) To utter a prohibition; to prevent; to hinder.
• Forbidder Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who forbids.
• Forbiddenly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a forbidden or unlawful manner.
• Forbidding Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Forbid
- (a.) Repelling approach; repulsive; raising abhorrence, aversion, or dislike; disagreeable; prohibiting or interdicting; as, a forbidding aspect; a forbidding formality; a forbidding air.