• Formal Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Methylal.
- (a.) Devoted to, or done in accordance with, forms or rules; punctilious; regular; orderly; methodical; of a prescribed form; exact; prim; stiff; ceremonious; as, a man formal in his dress, his gait, his conversation.
- (a.) Sound; normal.
- (a.) Belonging to the constitution of a thing, as distinguished from the matter composing it; having the power of making a thing what it is; constituent; essential; pertaining to or depending on the forms, so called, of the human intellect.
- (a.) Done in due form, or with solemnity; according to regular method; not incidental, sudden or irregular; express; as, he gave his formal consent.
- (a.) Having the form or appearance without the substance or essence; external; as, formal duty; formal worship; formal courtesy, etc.
- (a.) Belonging to the form, shape, frame, external appearance, or organization of a thing.
- (a.) Dependent in form; conventional.
• Formality Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An established order; conventional rule of procedure; usual method; habitual mode.
- (n.) The dress prescribed for any body of men, academical, municipal, or sacerdotal.
- (n.) Compliance with formal or conventional rules; ceremony; conventionality.
- (n.) The manner in which a thing is conceived or constituted by an act of human thinking; the result of such an act; as, animality and rationality are formalities.
- (n.) Form without substance.
- (n.) That which is formal; the formal part.
- (n.) The quality which makes a thing what it is; essence.
- (n.) The condition or quality of being formal, strictly ceremonious, precise, etc.
• Formalize Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To affect formality.
- (v. t.) To render formal.
- (v. t.) To give form, or a certain form, to; to model.