• Foxing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Fox
• Fox Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To turn sour; -- said of beer, etc., when it sours in fermenting.
- (n.) The European dragonet.
- (n.) Rope yarn twisted together, and rubbed with tar; -- used for seizings or mats.
- (n.) A tribe of Indians which, with the Sacs, formerly occupied the region about Green Bay, Wisconsin; -- called also Outagamies.
- (n.) To repair the feet of, as of boots, with new front upper leather, or to piece the upper fronts of.
- (n.) A sword; -- so called from the stamp of a fox on the blade, or perhaps of a wolf taken for a fox.
- (n.) A carnivorous animal of the genus Vulpes, family Canidae, of many species. The European fox (V. vulgaris or V. vulpes), the American red fox (V. fulvus), the American gray fox (V. Virginianus), and the arctic, white, or blue, fox (V. lagopus) are well-known species.
- (n.) A sly, cunning fellow.
- (n.) To intoxicate; to stupefy with drink.
- (n.) The fox shark or thrasher shark; -- called also sea fox. See Thrasher shark, under Shark.
- (n.) To make sour, as beer, by causing it to ferment.