• Function Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) Alt. of Functionate
- (n.) The course of action which peculiarly pertains to any public officer in church or state; the activity appropriate to any business or profession.
- (n.) A quantity so connected with another quantity, that if any alteration be made in the latter there will be a consequent alteration in the former. Each quantity is said to be a function of the other. Thus, the circumference of a circle is a function of the diameter. If x be a symbol to which different numerical values can be assigned, such expressions as x2, 3x, Log. x, and Sin. x, are all functions of x.
- (n.) The act of executing or performing any duty, office, or calling; per formance.
- (n.) The appropriate action of any special organ or part of an animal or vegetable organism; as, the function of the heart or the limbs; the function of leaves, sap, roots, etc.; life is the sum of the functions of the various organs and parts of the body.
- (n.) The natural or assigned action of any power or faculty, as of the soul, or of the intellect; the exertion of an energy of some determinate kind.
- (n.) A public or social ceremony or gathering; a festivity or entertainment, esp. one somewhat formal.
- (n.) A religious ceremony, esp. one particularly impressive and elaborate.
• Functionaries Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Functionary
• Functionless Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Destitute of function, or of an appropriate organ. Darwin.