• Galley Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A proof sheet taken from type while on a galley; a galley proof.
- (n.) The cookroom or kitchen and cooking apparatus of a vessel; -- sometimes on merchant vessels called the caboose.
- (n.) A vessel propelled by oars, whether having masts and sails or not
- (n.) A large vessel for war and national purposes; -- common in the Middle Ages, and down to the 17th century.
- (n.) A light, open boat used on the Thames by customhouse officers, press gangs, and also for pleasure.
- (n.) A name given by analogy to the Greek, Roman, and other ancient vessels propelled by oars.
- (n.) An oblong oven or muffle with a battery of retorts; a gallery furnace.
- (n.) One of the small boats carried by a man-of-war.
- (n.) An oblong tray of wood or brass, with upright sides, for holding type which has been set, or is to be made up, etc.
• Galley-bird Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The European green woodpecker; also, the spotted woodpecker.
• Galley-worm Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A chilognath myriapod of the genus Iulus, and allied genera, having numerous short legs along the sides; a milliped or "thousand legs." See Chilognatha.