• Gaping Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Gape
• Gap Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To notch, as a sword or knife.
- (n.) An opening in anything made by breaking or parting; as, a gap in a fence; an opening for a passage or entrance; an opening which implies a breach or defect; a vacant space or time; a hiatus; a mountain pass.
- (v. t.) To make an opening in; to breach.
- (n.) The vertical distance between two superposed surfaces, esp. in a biplane.
• Gape Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To open the mouth wide
- (v. i.) To long, wait eagerly, or cry aloud for something; -- with for, after, or at.
- (v. i.) Expressing a desire for food; as, young birds gape.
- (v. i.) To pen or part widely; to exhibit a gap, fissure, or hiatus.
- (n.) The act of gaping; a yawn.
- (v. i.) Indicating sleepiness or indifference; to yawn.
- (n.) The width of the mouth when opened, as of birds, fishes, etc.
• Gapingstock Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who is an object of open-mouthed wonder.