• Glossing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Gloss
• Gloss Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To give a specious appearance to; to render specious and plausible; to palliate by specious explanation.
- (v. t.) To give a superficial luster or gloss to; to make smooth and shining; as, to gloss cloth.
- (n.) A false or specious explanation.
- (n.) Brightness or luster of a body proceeding from a smooth surface; polish; as, the gloss of silk; cloth is calendered to give it a gloss.
- (v. i.) To make comments; to comment; to explain.
- (n.) A foreign, archaic, technical, or other uncommon word requiring explanation.
- (v. i.) To make sly remarks, or insinuations.
- (v. t.) To render clear and evident by comments; to illustrate; to explain; to annotate.
- (n.) A specious appearance; superficial quality or show.
- (n.) An interpretation, consisting of one or more words, interlinear or marginal; an explanatory note or comment; a running commentary.