• Gold Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Alt. of Goolde
- (v. t.) Figuratively, something precious or pure; as, hearts of gold.
- (v. t.) Money; riches; wealth.
- (v. t.) A metallic element, constituting the most precious metal used as a common commercial medium of exchange. It has a characteristic yellow color, is one of the heaviest substances known (specific gravity 19.32), is soft, and very malleable and ductile. It is quite unalterable by heat, moisture, and most corrosive agents, and therefore well suited for its use in coin and jewelry. Symbol Au (Aurum). Atomic weight 196.7.
- (v. t.) A yellow color, like that of the metal; as, a flower tipped with gold.
• Golden-rod Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A tall herb (Solidago Virga-aurea), bearing yellow flowers in a graceful elongated cluster. The name is common to all the species of the genus Solidago.
• Goldsmith Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A banker.
- (n.) An artisan who manufactures vessels and ornaments, etc., of gold.
• Gold-beating Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The art or process of reducing gold to extremely thin leaves, by beating with a hammer.