• Governing Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Requiring a particular case.
- (a.) Holding the superiority; prevalent; controlling; as, a governing wind; a governing party in a state.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Govern
• Govern Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To regulate; to influence; to direct; to restrain; to manage; as, to govern the life; to govern a horse.
- (v. t.) To direct and control, as the actions or conduct of men, either by established laws or by arbitrary will; to regulate by authority.
- (v. i.) To exercise authority; to administer the laws; to have the control.
- (v. t.) To require to be in a particular case; as, a transitive verb governs a noun in the objective case; or to require (a particular case); as, a transitive verb governs the objective case.