• Grasp Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To lay hold of with the mind; to become thoroughly acquainted or conversant with; to comprehend.
- (v. t.) To seize and hold by clasping or embracing with the fingers or arms; to catch to take possession of.
- (n.) Forcible possession; hold.
- (n.) Reach of the arms; hence, the power of seizing and holding; as, it was beyond his grasp.
- (n.) The handle of a sword or of an oar.
- (n.) Wide-reaching power of intellect to comprehend subjects and hold them under survey.
- (n.) A gripe or seizure of the hand; a seizure by embrace, or infolding in the arms.
- (v. i.) To effect a grasp; to make the motion of grasping; to clutch; to struggle; to strive.
• Grasping Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Seizing; embracing; catching.
- (a.) Avaricious; greedy of gain; covetous; close; miserly; as, he is a grasping man.
• Grasper Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Grasp