• Grated Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Grate
- (a.) Furnished with a grate or grating; as, grated windows.
• Grate Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To produce the effect of rubbing with a hard rough material; to cause wearing, tearing, or bruising. Hence; To produce exasperation, soreness, or grief; to offend by oppression or importunity.
- (v. t.) To reduce to small particles by rubbing with anything rough or indented; as, to grate a nutmeg.
- (v. t.) To rub roughly or harshly, as one body against another, causing a harsh sound; as, to grate the teeth; to produce (a harsh sound) by rubbing.
- (v. i.) To make a harsh sound by friction.
- (n.) A frame or bed, or kind of basket, of iron bars, for holding fuel while burning.
- (n.) A structure or frame containing parallel or crosed bars, with interstices; a kind of latticework, such as is used ia the windows of prisons and cloisters.
- (v. t.) To furnish with grates; to protect with a grating or crossbars; as, to grate a window.
- (v. t.) To fret; to irritate; to offend.
- (a.) Serving to gratify; agreeable.