• Grinding Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Grind
- (a. & n.) from Grind.
• Grind Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To perform the operation of grinding something; to turn the millstones.
- (v. i.) To perform hard aud distasteful service; to drudge; to study hard, as for an examination.
- (v. t.) To oppress by severe exactions; to harass.
- (v. i.) To become ground or pulverized by friction; as, this corn grinds well.
- (v. t.) To wear down, polish, or sharpen, by friction; to make smooth, sharp, or pointed; to whet, as a knife or drill; to rub against one another, as teeth, etc.
- (v. i.) To become polished or sharpened by friction; as, glass grinds smooth; steel grinds to a sharp edge.
- (n.) The act of reducing to powder, or of sharpening, by friction.
- (v. t.) To study hard for examination.
- (n.) A hard student; a dig.
- (v. t.) To reduce to powder by friction, as in a mill, or with the teeth; to crush into small fragments; to produce as by the action of millstones.
- (n.) Any severe continuous work or occupation; esp., hard and uninteresting study.
- (v. i.) To move with much difficulty or friction; to grate.
• Grindingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a grinding manner.