• Griped Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Gripe
• Grip Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To give a grip to; to grasp; to gripe.
- (v. t.) A peculiar mode of clasping the hand, by which members of a secret association recognize or greet, one another; as, a masonic grip.
- (v. t.) A device for grasping or holding fast to something.
- (n.) The griffin.
- (v. t.) To trench; to drain.
- (n.) A small ditch or furrow.
- (v. t.) An energetic or tenacious grasp; a holding fast; strength in grasping.
- (v. t.) That by which anything is grasped; a handle or gripe; as, the grip of a sword.
- (n.) A gripsack; a hand bag; a satchel.
- (n.) Specif., an apparatus attached to a car for clutching a traction cable.
- (n.) The influenza; grippe.
• Gripe Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Oppression; cruel exaction; affiction; pinching distress; as, the gripe of poverty.
- (v. i.) To clutch, hold, or pinch a thing, esp. money, with a gripe or as with a gripe.
- (n.) An assemblage of ropes, dead-eyes, and hocks, fastened to ringbolts in the deck, to secure the boats when hoisted; also, broad bands passed around a boat to secure it at the davits and prevent swinging.
- (v. t.) To seize and hold fast; to embrace closely.
- (n.) Grasp; seizure; fast hold; clutch.
- (n.) The piece of timber which terminates the keel at the fore end; the forefoot.
- (v. t.) To pinch; to distress. Specifically, to cause pinching and spasmodic pain to the bowels of, as by the effects of certain purgative or indigestible substances.
- (n.) The compass or sharpness of a ships stern under the water, having a tendency to make her keep a good wind.
- (n.) That on which the grasp is put; a handle; a grip; as, the gripe of a sword.
- (n.) Pinching and spasmodic pain in the intestines; -- chiefly used in the plural.
- (v. i.) To suffer griping pains.
- (v. t.) To catch with the hand; to clasp closely with the fingers; to clutch.
- (v. i.) To tend to come up into the wind, as a ship which, when sailing closehauled, requires constant labor at the helm.
- (n.) A vulture; the griffin.
- (n.) A device for grasping or holding anything; a brake to stop a wheel.