• Grit Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To give forth a grating sound, as sand under the feet; to grate; to grind.
- (n.) Sand or gravel; rough, hard particles.
- (n.) Grain, esp. oats or wheat, hulled and coarsely ground; in high milling, fragments of cracked wheat smaller than groats.
- (n.) Firmness of mind; invincible spirit; unyielding courage; fortitude.
- (n.) Structure, as adapted to grind or sharpen; as, a hone of good grit.
- (n.) The coarse part of meal.
- (v. t.) To grind; to rub harshly together; to grate; as, to grit the teeth.
- (n.) A hard, coarse-grained siliceous sandstone; as, millstone grit; -- called also gritrock and gritstone. The name is also applied to a finer sharp-grained sandstone; as, grindstone grit.
• Gritrock Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Alt. of Gritstone