• Grunt Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To make a deep, short noise, as a hog; to utter a short groan or a deep guttural sound.
- (n.) Any one of several species of American food fishes, of the genus Haemulon, allied to the snappers, as, the black grunt (A. Plumieri), and the redmouth grunt (H. aurolineatus), of the Southern United States; -- also applied to allied species of the genera Pomadasys, Orthopristis, and Pristopoma. Called also pigfish, squirrel fish, and grunter; -- so called from the noise it makes when taken.
- (n.) A deep, guttural sound, as of a hog.
• Grunted Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Grunt
• Grunter Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A hook used in lifting a crucible.
- (n.) One of several American marine fishes. See Sea robin, and Grunt, n., 2.
- (n.) One who, or that which, grunts; specifically, a hog.