• Guard Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A man, or body of men, stationed to protect or control a person or position; a watch; a sentinel.
- (v. t.) A fence or rail to prevent falling from the deck of a vessel.
- (n.) To keep watch over, in order to prevent escape or restrain from acts of violence, or the like.
- (v. t.) An extension of the deck of a vessel beyond the hull; esp., in side-wheel steam vessels, the framework of strong timbers, which curves out on each side beyond the paddle wheel, and protects it and the shaft against collision.
- (v. i.) To watch by way of caution or defense; to be caution; to be in a state or position of defense or safety; as, careful persons guard against mistakes.
- (v. t.) Watch; heed; care; attention; as, to keep guard.
- (v. t.) One who has charge of a mail coach or a railway train; a conductor.
- (n.) To fasten by binding; to gird.
- (v. t.) Ornamental lace or hem protecting the edge of a garment.
- (n.) To protect the edge of, esp. with an ornamental border; hence, to face or ornament with lists, laces, etc.
- (v. t.) Any fixture or attachment designed to protect or secure against injury, soiling, or defacement, theft or loss
- (v. t.) One who, or that which, guards from injury, danger, exposure, or attack; defense; protection.
- (v. t.) A posture of defense in fencing, and in bayonet and saber exercise.
- (v. t.) That part of a sword hilt which protects the hand.
- (v. t.) A plate of metal, beneath the stock, or the lock frame, of a gun or pistol, having a loop, called a bow, to protect the trigger.
- (v. t.) An interleaved strip at the back, as in a scrap book, to guard against its breaking when filled.
- (v. t.) The fibrous sheath which covers the phragmacone of the Belemnites.
- (v. t.) A chain or cord for fastening a watch to ones person or dress.
- (n.) To protect from danger; to secure against surprise, attack, or injury; to keep in safety; to defend; to shelter; to shield from surprise or attack; to protect by attendance; to accompany for protection; to care for.
- (v. t.) An expression or admission intended to secure against objections or censure.
• Guardable Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Capable of being guarded or protected.
• Guardage Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Wardship
• Guardant Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Same as Gardant.
- (v. t.) Acting as guardian.
- (n.) A guardian.