• Guide Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The leather strap by which the shield of a knight was slung across the shoulder, or across the neck and shoulder.
- (v. t.) Any contrivance, especially one having a directing edge, surface, or channel, for giving direction to the motion of anything, as water, an instrument, or part of a machine, or for directing the hand or eye, as of an operator
- (v. t.) To lead or direct in a way; to conduct in a course or path; to pilot; as, to guide a traveler.
- (v. t.) A person who leads or directs another in his way or course, as in a strange land; one who exhibits points of interest to strangers; a conductor; also, that which guides; a guidebook.
- (v. t.) A blade or channel for directing the flow of water to the wheel buckets.
- (v. t.) A noncommissioned officer or soldier placed on the directiug flank of each subdivision of a column of troops, or at the end of a line, to mark the pivots, formations, marches, and alignments in tactics.
- (v. t.) A grooved director for a probe or knife.
- (v. t.) One who, or that which, directs another in his conduct or course of lifo; a director; a regulator.
- (v. t.) To regulate and manage; to direct; to order; to superintend the training or education of; to instruct and influence intellectually or morally; to train.
- (v. t.) A strip or device to direct the compositors eye to the line of copy he is setting.
• Guidebook Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A book of directions and information for travelers, tourists, etc.
• Guideress Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A female guide.