• Guide Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The leather strap by which the shield of a knight was slung across the shoulder, or across the neck and shoulder.
- (v. t.) Any contrivance, especially one having a directing edge, surface, or channel, for giving direction to the motion of anything, as water, an instrument, or part of a machine, or for directing the hand or eye, as of an operator
- (v. t.) To lead or direct in a way; to conduct in a course or path; to pilot; as, to guide a traveler.
- (v. t.) A person who leads or directs another in his way or course, as in a strange land; one who exhibits points of interest to strangers; a conductor; also, that which guides; a guidebook.
- (v. t.) A blade or channel for directing the flow of water to the wheel buckets.
- (v. t.) A noncommissioned officer or soldier placed on the directiug flank of each subdivision of a column of troops, or at the end of a line, to mark the pivots, formations, marches, and alignments in tactics.
- (v. t.) A grooved director for a probe or knife.
- (v. t.) One who, or that which, directs another in his conduct or course of lifo; a director; a regulator.
- (v. t.) To regulate and manage; to direct; to order; to superintend the training or education of; to instruct and influence intellectually or morally; to train.
- (v. t.) A strip or device to direct the compositors eye to the line of copy he is setting.
• Guide rope Definition & Synonyms
- () A rope hung from a balloon or dirigible so as trail along the ground for about half its length, used to preserve altitude automatically, by variation of the length dragging on the ground, without loss of ballast or gas.