• Hack Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A kick on the shins.
- (v. i.) To cough faintly and frequently, or in a short, broken manner; as, a hacking cough.
- (n.) A procuress.
- (v. t.) To use as a hack; to let out for hire.
- (n.) A notch; a cut.
- (n.) A hacking; a catch in speaking; a short, broken cough.
- (v. t.) To use frequently and indiscriminately, so as to render trite and commonplace.
- (n.) A coach or carriage let for hire; particularly, a a coach with two seats inside facing each other; a hackney coach.
- (v. i.) To live the life of a drudge or hack.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To mangle in speaking.
- (n.) Unburned brick or tile, stacked up for drying.
- (a.) Hackneyed; hired; mercenary.
- (n.) A bookmaker who hires himself out for any sort of literary work; an overworked man; a drudge.
- (n.) A horse, hackneyed or let out for common hire; also, a horse used in all kinds of work, or a saddle horse, as distinguished from hunting and carriage horses.
- (n.) A frame or grating of various kinds; as, a frame for drying bricks, fish, or cheese; a rack for feeding cattle; a grating in a mill race, etc.
- (v. i.) To be exposed or offered or to common use for hire; to turn prostitute.
- (n.) An implement for cutting a notch; a large pick used in breaking stone.
- (v. t.) To cut irregulary, without skill or definite purpose; to notch; to mangle by repeated strokes of a cutting instrument; as, to hack a post.
- (n.) A kick on the shins, or a cut from a kick.
- (v. i.) To ride or drive as one does with a hack horse; to ride at an ordinary pace, or over the roads, as distinguished from riding across country or in military fashion.
- (v. t.) To kick the shins of (an opposing payer).
• Hacker Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, hacks. Specifically: A cutting instrument for making notches; esp., one used for notching pine trees in collecting turpentine; a hack.
• Hackmen Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Hackman