• Hail Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Healthy. See Hale (the preferable spelling).
- (v. t.) To name; to designate; to call.
- (v. t.) To call loudly to, or after; to accost; to salute; to address.
- (n.) Small roundish masses of ice precipitated from the clouds, where they are formed by the congelation of vapor. The separate masses or grains are called hailstones.
- (v. t.) To pour forcibly down, as hail.
- (n.) A wish of health; a salutation; a loud call.
- (v. i.) To report as ones home or the place from whence one comes; to come; -- with from.
- (v. t.) An exclamation of respectful or reverent salutation, or, occasionally, of familiar greeting.
- (v. i.) To declare, by hailing, the port from which a vessel sails or where she is registered; hence, to sail; to come; -- used with from; as, the steamer hails from New York.
- (v. i.) To pour down particles of ice, or frozen vapors.
• Hailstorm Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A storm accompanied with hail; a shower of hail.
• Hailstone Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A single particle of ice falling from a cloud; a frozen raindrop; a pellet of hail.