• Hand Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Power of performance; means of execution; ability; skill; dexterity.
- (v. t.) To pledge by the hand; to handfast.
- (n.) Personal possession; ownership; hence, control; direction; management; -- usually in the plural.
- (n.) A bundle of tobacco leaves tied together.
- (n.) A limb of certain animals, as the foot of a hawk, or any one of the four extremities of a monkey.
- (n.) That which is, or may be, held in a hand at once
- (v. t.) To manage; as, I hand my oar.
- (n.) An agent; a servant, or laborer; a workman, trained or competent for special service or duty; a performer more or less skillful; as, a deck hand; a farm hand; an old hand at speaking.
- (n.) Actual performance; deed; act; workmanship; agency; hence, manner of performance.
- (n.) Side; part; direction, either right or left.
- (v. t.) To lead, guide, or assist with the hand; to conduct; as, to hand a lady into a carriage.
- (n.) Agency in transmission from one person to another; as, to buy at first hand, that is, from the producer, or when new; at second hand, that is, when no longer in the producers hand, or when not new.
- (v. t.) To furl; -- said of a sail.
- (v. t.) To give, pass, or transmit with the hand; as, he handed them the letter.
- (v. t.) To seize; to lay hands on.
- (n.) Handwriting; style of penmanship; as, a good, bad or running hand. Hence, a signature.
- (v. i.) To cooperate.
- (n.) A measure equal to a hands breadth, -- four inches; a palm. Chiefly used in measuring the height of horses.
- (n.) Rate; price.
- (n.) That which resembles, or to some extent performs the office of, a human hand
- (n.) The quota of cards received from the dealer.
- (n.) The small part of a gunstock near the lock, which is grasped by the hand in taking aim.
- (n.) An index or pointer on a dial; as, the hour or minute hand of a clock.
- (n.) That part of the fore limb below the forearm or wrist in man and monkeys, and the corresponding part in many other animals; manus; paw. See Manus.
- (n.) A gambling game played by American Indians, consisting of guessing the whereabouts of bits of ivory or the like, which are passed rapidly from hand to hand.
• Han Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To inclose for mowing; to set aside for grass.
- (inf. & plural pres.) To have; have.
• Hand flus Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Handful