• Hawed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Haw
• Haw Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An intermission or hesitation of speech, with a sound somewhat like haw! also, the sound so made.
- (n.) The third eyelid, or nictitating membrane. See Nictitating membrane, under Nictitate.
- (v. i.) To stop, in speaking, with a sound like haw; to speak with interruption and hesitation.
- (v. i.) To turn to the near side, or toward the driver; -- said of cattle or a team: a word used by teamsters in guiding their teams, and most frequently in the imperative. See Gee.
- (n.) A hedge; an inclosed garden or yard.
- (n.) The fruit of the hawthorn.
- (v. t.) To cause to turn, as a team, to the near side, or toward the driver; as, to haw a team of oxen.