• Heck Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A bend or winding of a stream.
- (n.) A door, especially one partly of latticework; -- called also heck door.
- (n.) The bolt or latch of a door.
- (n.) A latticework contrivance for catching fish.
- (n.) An apparatus for separating the threads of warps into sets, as they are wound upon the reel from the bobbins, in a warping machine.
- (n.) A rack for cattle to feed at.
• Heckle Definition & Synonyms
- (n. & v. t.) Same as Hackle.
- (v. t.) To interrogate, or ply with questions, esp. with severity or antagonism, as a candidate for the ministry.
• Heckerism Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The teaching of Isaac Thomas Hecker (1819-88), which interprets Catholicism as promoting human aspirations after liberty and truth, and as the religion best suited to the character and institutions of the American people.
- (n.) Improperly, certain views or principles erroneously ascribed to Father Hecker in a French translation of Elliotts Life of Hecker. They were condemned as "Americanism" by the Pope, in a letter to Cardinal Gibbons, January 22, 1899.