• Heeled Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Heel
• Heel Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The after end of a ships keel.
- (n.) Management by the heel, especially the spurred heel; as, the horse understands the heel well.
- (n.) In a small arm, the corner of the but which is upwards in the firing position.
- (v. t.) To add a heel to; as, to heel a shoe.
- (n.) The lower end of a timber in a frame, as a post or rafter. In the United States, specif., the obtuse angle of the lower end of a rafter set sloping.
- (v. i.) To lean or tip to one side, as a ship; as, the ship heels aport; the boat heeled over when the squall struck it.
- (n.) The uppermost part of the blade of a sword, next to the hilt.
- (n.) The part of a thing corresponding in position to the human heel; the lower part, or part on which a thing rests
- (v. t.) To perform by the use of the heels, as in dancing, running, and the like.
- (n.) The part of any tool next the tang or handle; as, the heel of a scythe.
- (n.) The hinder part of the foot; sometimes, the whole foot; -- in man or quadrupeds.
- (n.) The latter or remaining part of anything; the closing or concluding part.
- (n.) The lower end of a mast, a boom, the bowsprit, the sternpost, etc.
- (n.) Anything regarded as like a human heel in shape; a protuberance; a knob.
- (n.) The hinder part of any covering for the foot, as of a shoe, sock, etc.; specif., a solid part projecting downward from the hinder part of the sole of a boot or shoe.
- (n.) A cyma reversa; -- so called by workmen.
- (v. t.) To arm with a gaff, as a cock for fighting.
- (n.) In a carding machine, the part of a flat nearest the cylinder.
- (n.) The part of the face of the club head nearest the shaft.
- (v. t.) To hit (the ball) with the heel of the club.
- (v. t.) To make (a fair catch) standing with one foot advanced, the heel on the ground and the toe up.