• Hell Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A dungeon or prison; also, in certain running games, a place to which those who are caught are carried for detention.
- (v. t.) A gambling house.
- (v. t.) To overwhelm.
- (v. t.) A place where outcast persons or things are gathered
- (v. t.) The place or state of punishment for the wicked after death; the abode of evil spirits. Hence, any mental torment; anguish.
- (v. t.) The place of the dead, or of souls after death; the grave; -- called in Hebrew sheol, and by the Greeks hades.
- (v. t.) A place into which a tailor throws his shreds, or a printer his broken type.
• Hell-cat Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A witch; a hag.
• Hell-diver Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The dabchick.