• Hell Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A dungeon or prison; also, in certain running games, a place to which those who are caught are carried for detention.
- (v. t.) A gambling house.
- (v. t.) To overwhelm.
- (v. t.) A place where outcast persons or things are gathered
- (v. t.) The place or state of punishment for the wicked after death; the abode of evil spirits. Hence, any mental torment; anguish.
- (v. t.) The place of the dead, or of souls after death; the grave; -- called in Hebrew sheol, and by the Greeks hades.
- (v. t.) A place into which a tailor throws his shreds, or a printer his broken type.
• Hellgramite Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The aquatic larva of a large American winged insect (Corydalus cornutus), much used a fish bait by anglers; the dobson. It belongs to the Neuroptera.
• Helleborism Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The practice or theory of using hellebore as a medicine.