• Honor Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That to which esteem or consideration is paid; distinguished position; high rank.
- (n.) A token of esteem paid to worth; a mark of respect; a ceremonial sign of consideration; as, he wore an honor on his breast; military honors; civil honors.
- (n.) To dignify; to raise to distinction or notice; to bestow honor upon; to elevate in rank or station; to ennoble; to exalt; to glorify; hence, to do something to honor; to treat in a complimentary manner or with civility.
- (n.) A cause of respect and fame; a glory; an excellency; an ornament; as, he is an honor to his nation.
- (n.) To regard or treat with honor, esteem, or respect; to revere; to treat with deference and submission; when used of the Supreme Being, to reverence; to adore; to worship.
- (n.) A title applied to the holders of certain honorable civil offices, or to persons of rank; as, His Honor the Mayor. See Note under Honorable.
- (n.) A seigniory or lordship held of the king, on which other lordships and manors depended.
- (n.) That which rightfully attracts esteem, respect, or consideration; self-respect; dignity; courage; fidelity; especially, excellence of character; high moral worth; virtue; nobleness; specif., in men, integrity; uprightness; trustworthness; in women, purity; chastity.
- (n.) Esteem due or paid to worth; high estimation; respect; consideration; reverence; veneration; manifestation of respect or reverence.
- (n.) Academic or university prizes or distinctions; as, honors in classics.
- (n.) A nice sense of what is right, just, and true, with course of life correspondent thereto; strict conformity to the duty imposed by conscience, position, or privilege.
- (n.) The ace, king, queen, and jack of trumps. The ten and nine are sometimes called Dutch honors.
- (n.) To accept and pay when due; as, to honora bill of exchange.
- (n.) Fame; reputation; credit.
• Honorably Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) Decently; becomingly.
- (adv.) In an honorable manner; in a manner showing, or consistent with, honor.
• Honorary Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Holding a title or place without rendering service or receiving reward; as, an honorary member of a society.
- (a.) Conferring honor, or intended merely to confer honor without emolument; as, an honorary degree.
- (a.) An honorary payment, usually in recognition of services for which it is not usual or not lawful to assign a fixed business price.
- (a.) A fee offered to professional men for their services; as, an honorarium of one thousand dollars.
- (a.) Done as a sign or evidence of honor; as, honorary services.