• Hooped Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Hoop
• Hoop Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A shout; a whoop, as in whooping cough.
- (n.) A ring; a circular band; anything resembling a hoop, as the cylinder (cheese hoop) in which the curd is pressed in making cheese.
- (v. t.) To clasp; to encircle; to surround.
- (v. t.) To bind or fasten with hoops; as, to hoop a barrel or puncheon.
- (n.) An old measure of capacity, variously estimated at from one to four pecks.
- (v. t.) To drive or follow with a shout.
- (v. t.) To call by a shout or peculiar cry.
- (n.) A circle, or combination of circles, of thin whalebone, metal, or other elastic material, used for expanding the skirts of ladies dresses; crinoline; -- used chiefly in the plural.
- (n.) A pliant strip of wood or metal bent in a circular form, and united at the ends, for holding together the staves of casks, tubs, etc.
- (n.) A quart pot; -- so called because originally bound with hoops, like a barrel. Also, a portion of the contents measured by the distance between the hoops.
- (v. i.) To whoop, as in whooping cough. See Whoop.
- (v. i.) To utter a loud cry, or a sound imitative of the word, by way of call or pursuit; to shout.
- (n.) The hoopoe. See Hoopoe.