• Hydra Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Any small fresh-water hydroid of the genus Hydra, usually found attached to sticks, stones, etc., by a basal sucker.
- (n.) A serpent or monster in the lake or marsh of Lerna, in the Peloponnesus, represented as having many heads, one of which, when cut off, was immediately succeeded by two others, unless the wound was cauterized. It was slain by Hercules. Hence, a terrible monster.
- (n.) Hence: A multifarious evil, or an evil having many sources; not to be overcome by a single effort.
- (n.) A southern constellation of great length lying southerly from Cancer, Leo, and Virgo.
• Hydrachnid Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An aquatic mite of the genus Hydrachna. The hydrachnids, while young, are parasitic on fresh-water mussels.
• Hydrae Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Hydra