• Hymn Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An ode or song of praise or adoration; especially, a religious ode, a sacred lyric; a song of praise or thankgiving intended to be used in religious service; as, the Homeric hymns; Watts hymns.
- (v. t.) To praise in song; to worship or extol by singing hymns; to sing.
- (v. i.) To sing in praise or adoration.
• Hymnology Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A knowledge of hymns; a treatise on hymns.
- (n.) The hymns or sacred lyrics composed by authors of a particular country or period; as, the hymnology of the eighteenth century; also, the collective body of hymns used by any particular church or religious body; as, the Anglican hymnology.
• Hymnal Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A collection of hymns; a hymn book.