• Hyphen Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A mark or short dash, thus [-], placed at the end of a line which terminates with a syllable of a word, the remainder of which is carried to the next line; or between the parts of many a compound word; as in fine-leaved, clear-headed. It is also sometimes used to separate the syllables of words.
- (v. t.) To connect with, or separate by, a hyphen, as two words or the parts of a word.
• Hyphenated Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) United by hyphens; hyphened; as, a hyphenated or hyphened word.
• Hyphenated American Definition & Synonyms
- () An American who is referred to by a hyphenated term with the first word indicating an origin in a foreign country, and the second term being "American", as Irish-American, Italian-American.