• Idea Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A general notion, or a conception formed by generalization.
- (n.) The transcript, image, or picture of a visible object, that is formed by the mind; also, a similar image of any object whatever, whether sensible or spiritual.
- (n.) A belief, option, or doctrine; a characteristic or controlling principle; as, an essential idea; the idea of development.
- (n.) A plan or purpose of action; intention; design.
- (n.) A rational conception; the complete conception of an object when thought of in all its essential elements or constituents; the necessary metaphysical or constituent attributes and relations, when conceived in the abstract.
- (n.) Hence: Any object apprehended, conceived, or thought of, by the mind; a notion, conception, or thought; the real object that is conceived or thought of.
- (n.) A fiction object or picture created by the imagination; the same when proposed as a pattern to be copied, or a standard to be reached; one of the archetypes or patterns of created things, conceived by the Platonists to have excited objectively from eternity in the mind of the Deity.
• Ideal Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A mental conception regarded as a standard of perfection; a model of excellence, beauty, etc.
- (a.) Imaginary.
- (a.) Teaching the doctrine of idealism; as, the ideal theory or philosophy.
- (a.) Reaching an imaginary standard of excellence; fit for a model; faultless; as, ideal beauty.
- (a.) Existing in fancy or imagination only; visionary; unreal.
- (a.) Existing in idea or thought; conceptional; intellectual; mental; as, ideal knowledge.