• Imaging Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Image
• Image Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A representation of anything to the mind; a picture drawn by the fancy; a conception; an idea.
- (n.) A picture, example, or illustration, often taken from sensible objects, and used to illustrate a subject; usually, an extended metaphor.
- (n.) The figure or picture of any object formed at the focus of a lens or mirror, by rays of light from the several points of the object symmetrically refracted or reflected to corresponding points in such focus; this may be received on a screen, a photographic plate, or the retina of the eye, and viewed directly by the eye, or with an eyeglass, as in the telescope and microscope; the likeness of an object formed by reflection; as, to see ones image in a mirror.
- (n.) An imitation, representation, or similitude of any person, thing, or act, sculptured, drawn, painted, or otherwise made perceptible to the sight; a visible presentation; a copy; a likeness; an effigy; a picture; a semblance.
- (n.) Hence: The likeness of anything to which worship is paid; an idol.
- (n.) Show; appearance; cast.
- (v. t.) To represent or form an image of; as, the still lake imaged the shore; the mirror imaged her figure.
- (v. t.) To represent to the mental vision; to form a likeness of by the fancy or recollection; to imagine.