• Imbricated Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Lying over each other in regular order, so as to "break joints," like tiles or shingles on a roof, the scales on the leaf buds of plants and the cups of some acorns, or the scales of fishes; overlapping each other at the margins, as leaves in aestivation.
- (a.) Bent and hollowed like a roof or gutter tile.
- (a.) In decorative art: Having scales lapping one over the other, or a representation of such scales; as, an imbricated surface; an imbricated pattern.
• Imbricate Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To lay in order, one lapping over another, so as to form an imbricated surface.
- (a.) Alt. of Imbricated